In this session, the students will debate the true meaning of what it means to be a Zionist today. Armed with a short text study, they will advocate for fictional stereotypes of various Zionists.
- The students will think critically about what being a Zionist means today
- The students will learn some of the classic texts on Zionism
- The students will explore the connection between the Jewish People and the Land of Israel
- The students will address the relationship between Diaspora Jewry and Israel
- Part 1: Introduction: In this part, the students will be introduced to the activity, and the scenario will be set.
- Part 2: Text study: In this part, the students will explore several of the classic texts on Zionism, so as to be best equipped to debate in the later parts of the session.
- Part 3: Making their case: In this part, each of the characters will make their case about why they are the most Zionist
- Part 4: Debate and decision-making: Finally, after hearing the cases, we will raise several discussion questions, and the students (armed with the texts they studied at the beginning) will debate which character they believe is the most Zionist.