The Belonging to Israel curriculum presents an innovative approach to the traditional “Israel Chiddon“, or Israel quiz. Whereas former models emphasized memorization and accumulated knowledge, educators today recognize that the learner is not impacted by rote memorization in a world where the same information is accessible with the simple click of a button.
This curriculum is about connection; engaging the learner by promoting belonging to, and relationship-building with, the Land of Israel.
The curriculum combines both formal classroom lessons to be guided by the teacher, as well as a strong emphasis on independent learning. For each unit we provide a teachers’ guide and a student’s workbook.
- Bedrock and Foundation, in which the students will explore the various historical connections to the Land of Israel, with a focus on the Bible and Herzl.
- Rise and Walk the Land, in which the students will study the geography of Israel over time, and learn about the early Israeli kibbutzim, as well as the main cities in modern Israel.
- Toward a Better World, in which the students will learn about the fabric of Israeli society, as well as some of the pressing social issues that affect it.
- Songs of Belonging: Jewish/Israeli Songs, in which students will study both classical and contemporary poetry/music that uses art to express connection to Israel.
- Overview and Quiz: At the completion of the units is the culminating Israel Contest, a grand event which we recommend showcasing as part of your school or community’s Yom Ha’atzmaut celebrations.