This final webinar is a combination of a video “lesson”, and your assignments.
Please watch the video! It lasts just under 40 minutes. You can watch it when you want, in one go or in installments. Then come the three tasks:
In our shared Google Drive “4HQ Israel Cohort 1”, you’ll find the folder “Final Webinar and Assignments”. Please go to the “Love, Frustrates, Confuses” folder. There you will find the 4HQ chart in whichever format you prefer.
Your job is to write in your love/frustrates/confuses choice into the chart itself, placing your choices where you think they should be located. For example, if what you love about Israel is the Galilee area, you would write “I love the Galilee area” in the section of IN OUR LAND…
Once you have done this, please upload your finished chart back to the “Love, Frustrates, Confuses” folder. Please do this before July 28th. Our opening day will work with everyone’s charts. If you are unable to upload your chart, please print it out and bring it with you.
Do you ever think about your security? (To Be) Do you find yourself obsessing about American values and ways of behaving? (People) Is your place very important to you? (Land)
Your job is to rank the way you see life. From 0 to 10, please rank the relative importance of the four questions to the way you see America, and the way you see Israel.
Please complete this ranking by July 28th. This chart will form a central part of several sessions through the trip.
Any session you would like to see happen on the trip? We have a few slots that we’ve deliberately left open for your choices. Take a look at the itinerary as it stands. Then take a look at the list of optional sessions we could try to add – put your name down for any sessions you’d like to attend, and feel free to add your ideas for sessions as well!
Please complete this by 21st July, so we’ll have time to prepare.
We make no promises, but we’ll attempt to accommodate your wishes!
Please watch this video and complete the 4 tasks detailed below…
- Please draw out the connected/disconnected – hi-res/lo-res matrix, and draw your own journey on the matrix. Please have this drawing ready to share on the webinar (either on your computer, or physically ready to hold up to the camera!) See 6:55
- Please note for yourself where you would map your MH participants. See 7:27
- Please note for yourself where you would map the current Israel programming. We’ll refer to these maps when we are together in Israel. See 8:10
- Please write your answers to these two questions, and mail them to robbie[at]makomisrael[dot]net:
- Do you see part of your role at MH to move your participants in a direction on the Matrix vis a vis Israel?
- If your answer is yes, do you see your role to move your participants along both axes, or only one? That is, the hi-res/lo-res axis addresses knowledge, while the connected/disconnected axis addresses feelings of connection… Do you hope/expect to move your participants along only the knowledge axis, or also the connection axis?
Shay Charka once again displays his visual genius, portraying the onerous demand on Israelis to switch from the memorial candles of Yom HaZikaron to the celebrations of Yom Ha’atzmaut. (Originally appeared in Makor Rishon, and on Shay’s facebook page.
We are delighted to present our suggestion for talking Israel at the Seder table. This leaflet was produced by our friends at the UJIA in the UK, at their initiative. We are delighted to share this with all the world, in addition to the 45,000 Brits who will receive a printed copy with their Jewish Chronicle!
Here are the videos and links we used…
Gadi Taub talking about Democracy and Nationalism
He also spoke nicely here, on Liberalism and Democracy:
We looked at material from this course, All In the Family, in particular the video on solidarity:
The whole album of Kobi Oz, Psalms from the Perplexed, is wonderful. In particular we looked at Elohai,
and at The Prayer of the Secular:
On Just War, here is the Halbertal video I mentioned:
Yom HaZikaron stuff
Here is the link to the session on Nothing will Harm me, here is the link to the ceremony we built around the Avi Chai videos, and here is the link to the Bet Avi Chai project itself.
Coming on for 100 years ago, The Balfour Declaration stated that the area of Palestine should be the “national homeland” of the Jews.
The Zionist movement of a century ago did not need the British to tell them that our national homeland was situated in the area known as Palestine. The Balfour Declaration is celebrated to this day because a world power had publicly acknowledged this connection. Jews knowing that the Land of Israel was ours, allowed us to dream. But when a superpower let everyone know the Land of Israel was ours, it allowed us to plan.
Recently this tension between what the Jewish People knows as the Land of Israel, and what the world recognises as the State of Israel, has come to the fore in extraordinary fashion.
President Trump became the first American president to visit the Kotel, the Western Wall. But in so doing President Trump’s advance staff pointed out an inconvenient truth: The Kotel is on the “other” side of the Green Line. As such, it is not within Israel’s internationally recognized borders.
While every Jew would remind us that Jerusalem, and the area of the ancient Temple in particular, is at the beating heart of the Biblical Land of Israel, the President of the United States reminded us that it is outside the internationally recognized borders of the State of Israel.
Bearing in mind that in the Balfour Declaration we celebrate the international recognition for what we Jews have always known, how should we engage with this current rejection of Israeli sovereignty over Zion itself?
- Elohay – Kobi Oz
- Tale of the Four – Ehud Banai
- Out of Egypt – Alma Zohar
- Friday – HaDag Nachashhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGX_Q0okcQ
- Unworthy – Yonatan Raz’el
- Piyut Festival – World Lovehttps://youtu.be/RR12vZKmpEc
- Sarit Hadad and Red Band – Baby Can I Hold You https://youtu.be/VsGJX631-Tg
- Amir Benayoun – Fall https://youtu.be/P03mFBu-DDo
- Kobi Oz – Dream after you https://youtu.be/phejjYQgqwQ