Please watch this video and complete the 4 tasks detailed below…
- Please draw out the connected/disconnected – hi-res/lo-res matrix, and draw your own journey on the matrix. Please have this drawing ready to share on the webinar (either on your computer, or physically ready to hold up to the camera!) See 6:55
- Please note for yourself where you would map your MH participants. See 7:27
- Please note for yourself where you would map the current Israel programming. We’ll refer to these maps when we are together in Israel. See 8:10
- Please write your answers to these two questions, and mail them to robbie[at]makomisrael[dot]net:
- Do you see part of your role at MH to move your participants in a direction on the Matrix vis a vis Israel?
- If your answer is yes, do you see your role to move your participants along both axes, or only one? That is, the hi-res/lo-res axis addresses knowledge, while the connected/disconnected axis addresses feelings of connection… Do you hope/expect to move your participants along only the knowledge axis, or also the connection axis?
Shay Charka once again displays his visual genius, portraying the onerous demand on Israelis to switch from the memorial candles of Yom HaZikaron to the celebrations of Yom Ha’atzmaut. (Originally appeared in Makor Rishon, and on Shay’s facebook page.
We are delighted to present our suggestion for talking Israel at the Seder table. This leaflet was produced by our friends at the UJIA in the UK, at their initiative. We are delighted to share this with all the world, in addition to the 45,000 Brits who will receive a printed copy with their Jewish Chronicle!
Here are the videos and links we used…
Gadi Taub talking about Democracy and Nationalism
He also spoke nicely here, on Liberalism and Democracy:
We looked at material from this course, All In the Family, in particular the video on solidarity:
The whole album of Kobi Oz, Psalms from the Perplexed, is wonderful. In particular we looked at Elohai,
and at The Prayer of the Secular:
On Just War, here is the Halbertal video I mentioned:
Yom HaZikaron stuff
Here is the link to the session on Nothing will Harm me, here is the link to the ceremony we built around the Avi Chai videos, and here is the link to the Bet Avi Chai project itself.
Coming on for 100 years ago, The Balfour Declaration stated that the area of Palestine should be the “national homeland” of the Jews.
The Zionist movement of a century ago did not need the British to tell them that our national homeland was situated in the area known as Palestine. The Balfour Declaration is celebrated to this day because a world power had publicly acknowledged this connection. Jews knowing that the Land of Israel was ours, allowed us to dream. But when a superpower let everyone know the Land of Israel was ours, it allowed us to plan.
Recently this tension between what the Jewish People knows as the Land of Israel, and what the world recognises as the State of Israel, has come to the fore in extraordinary fashion.
President Trump became the first American president to visit the Kotel, the Western Wall. But in so doing President Trump’s advance staff pointed out an inconvenient truth: The Kotel is on the “other” side of the Green Line. As such, it is not within Israel’s internationally recognized borders.
While every Jew would remind us that Jerusalem, and the area of the ancient Temple in particular, is at the beating heart of the Biblical Land of Israel, the President of the United States reminded us that it is outside the internationally recognized borders of the State of Israel.
Bearing in mind that in the Balfour Declaration we celebrate the international recognition for what we Jews have always known, how should we engage with this current rejection of Israeli sovereignty over Zion itself?
- Elohay – Kobi Oz
- Tale of the Four – Ehud Banai
- Out of Egypt – Alma Zohar
- Friday – HaDag Nachashhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGX_Q0okcQ
- Unworthy – Yonatan Raz’el
- Piyut Festival – World Lovehttps://youtu.be/RR12vZKmpEc
- Sarit Hadad and Red Band – Baby Can I Hold You https://youtu.be/VsGJX631-Tg
- Amir Benayoun – Fall https://youtu.be/P03mFBu-DDo
- Kobi Oz – Dream after you https://youtu.be/phejjYQgqwQ